WEIRDLAND: Jimmy and Jakey

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Jimmy and Jakey













Well, the pictures talk by themselves, but I want to remark that my favourite film of James Dean is "East of Eden" (1955 by Elia Kazan), based on the John Steinbeck's novel. The most shocking scene is no doubt the confrontation of Cal (James Dean) with his father Adam Trask, the way Cal is rejected is a prodigious moment in cinema: “You're bad, through and through, bad,” and Cal replies: "You're right. I am bad. I knew that for a long time... It's true", but my prefered part of the movie is the conversation James Dean has with Abra (Julie Harris) on the "Ferris wheel", when Abra confides to Cal that she thinks she isn't good enough for Aron. Their intimate conversation leads to a kiss, but then she pulls back immediately:
"I love Aron, I do, really I do" hurting Cal deep down.
Their previous conversations are really memorable too. Julie Harris gave me a slight impression to Jena Malone's Gretchen, a frail woman, not buxom at all, who is flawed but is still romantic.


8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Such terrific pictures, Kendra! Beautiful similarities.

Anonymous said...

omg, the look eerily similar in these pics!!
east of eden is a great movie.very touching performances by all the actors.i also love the scene with jimmy and his mother

Elena said...

The scene when Cal ruthlessly introduces his mom to his brother Aron is a highlight, gr77. I know I said previously my favourite James Dean film was Rebel withouth a case. For me, Gigantic is such an epic story, but it's impossible for me to choose between "East of Eden" and "Rebel without a case", they match inseparably in my mind.

Anonymous said...

my favourite is definately east of eden

Elena said...

I've been thinking in adding one last Jake/James Dean serie in his anniversary the 30th September.

Anonymous said...

hey, my fav is East of Eden too!

only1annabel said...

Awesome pictures! Oh how I love those boys!

Elena said...

Thanks, only1annabel! I'm sure the next Saturday 30th Sept. I'm gonna cry.