WEIRDLAND: Newman Style

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Newman Style


















"I love to cook, I am obsessed with cooking magazines." [Vitals Magazine] -Jake Gyllenhaal.
"The star of oil and vinegar and the oil and vinegar of the stars."
"The embarrassing thing is that the salad dressing is outgrossing my films."
"I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant."
-Paul Newman quotes.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Seeing pictures of Jake alongside old pictures of now-old movie stars like Paul Newman always reminds me why I, an 'older' woman, find Jake so attractive. He reminds me of those old movie stars when they were young. He has the same classy looks. I recently saw Hitchcock's The Birds again and when I saw Rod Steiger, I immediately thought of Jake.
Sorry, not well-put, but perhaps you will know what I mean.
(And that is one great quote by Paul Newman on homosexuality).

Elena said...

I think, Penny, that Jake roles are the tantamount in our time to those tormented characters which came unstuck as "Cool Hand Luke" or "The hustler", unforgettablely performed by Paul Newman. Another point both have in common is a romantic aura around them, despite the flawed layers on Jake's characters.

Becky Heineke said...

Wow, GREAT post. I had never made that connection before, but you found some amazing pictures of the two of them. Gorgeous.

The Chemistry Guru said...

Ang Lee on Jake: "Jake on the other hand is the romantic lead; that classic romantic figure. He reminds me of the Paul Newman and Montgomery Clift-like matinee idol"

Elena said...

Kokodee, can you believe this is first news for me?? I'm a bit despistated, because of course I remember having read that sentence in somewhere, because I adore Montgomery Clift and I knew Ang Lee had compared with Jake, but I missed that Paul Newman part!

Elena said...

and Pg and all you folks, stay tuned in Weirdland, there will be more "connections", this Jake man is wide range!

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely outstanding!!! Great ideas! I love Paul Newman and your juxtaposition of Jake with him is breathtaking. BTW: I have some black and whites of Jake in close up that remind me of a very young Al Pacino. Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or am I crazy...I do have a chronic case of Jake-itis. LOL!

Elena said...

^^No, you're not crazy, Jake can have an accused personality noticeable through his features, same that Al Pacino, one actor whom I also admire a lot.

Elena said...

I'm a bit despistated

I think that word doesn't exist in English, so I'm a bit absent-minded.