WEIRDLAND: Criminal Heartbreakers

Monday, June 04, 2007

Criminal Heartbreakers

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Valerie in "Criminal" (2004) .
"The director Gregory Jacobs says your character is a cool film noir kind of gal - is that something that you could identify with?

-[Maggie Gyllenhaal] When I first read the script I thought my character was the typical femme fatale. But then I found she's just a girl who works at a hotel who can't communicate with her brother, and she's performing at being that femme fatale person. She doesn't always do a good job at it. There were times I was shooting that I got too upset or too angry to keep that femme fatale façade up. The way I work is whatever I'm feeling I let that be ok. So there were times my high heel shoes were killing me and the lipstick was bleeding - and I let that flow. I actually got more interested in the way she was failing at it."
Source: www.bbc.co.uk


More guilty women of heartbreaking "crimes":

The classic dame of noir, Lauren Bacall.Nora Zehetner as Laura in "Brick".
Marley Shelton as The Customer in "Sin City".
Kate Hudson as Penny Lane in "Almost Famous".
Kirsten Dunst, killer legs.Gretchen Mol as Betty in "The Notorious Betty Page".
Patricia Arquette as Alabama in "True Romance".
Jessica Biel.
Calista Flockhart.Kate Winslet.

6 comments :

clairex said...

I'm a die-hard fan of Maggie and Kate Winslet, good pictures, Kendra!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the "Criminal" because I had seen the (great) argentinian original.I may however see it for Maggie and Diego Luna (he's such a cutie!!).

I love Patricia Arquette and her imperfect teeth!!She was amazing and so sexy in "Lost Highway"

Elena said...

I like that scene in "Lost highway" in the last part of the movie, when Patricia's character is such an unreachable idealization of a femme fatale.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures as usual Kendra and hey, what a suprise to find myself there looking like that, smoldering sexy..!!

heddaparsons said...

Another excellent post Kendra and you aded one of my all times favs: Lauren Becall!

Elena said...

Thanks, heddaparsons, Bacall was the fuel to the classical noir, Penny Lane: very cute, dear!