WEIRDLAND: Michael Welch in Twilight

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Michael Welch in Twilight

"First, the actor playing Mike Newton is PRETTIER THAN ALL OF THE VAMPIRES PUT TOGETHER. Seriously, Bella, why did you not hit that? I couldn't figure out where I'd seen him before. (Looks it up.) Holy crud, he was mini-Jack! If that doesn't make you awesome, nothing will. This kid blew me away on Stargate. He had all the mannerisms pitch-perfect. I want to see more from Michael Welch". Source: darkfrog24.livejournal.com
"When Stephanie visited the set, she blogged back to her fans that you can really dance. So does that mean you’re going to audition for the next big dance movie?

I do like to dance. But I doubt that anyone will be hiring me to do it professionally in the near future. Stephanie’s assessment of my prom boogy stylings was very kind. But the truth is, anyone can dance. The big secret is to just hit the beat. You can do whatever you want in between beats, doesn’t matter. Just make sure you’re on top of the 2-4, or in the case of salsa, the 1-2-3, and you’ll be just fine.

Coming from fans of literature, is there any character from a book that you’d like to be cast as if it was turned into a film?

How old is the kid from Hatchet? He was like 17, right? Hatchet was my favorite book as a kid (until I read James and the Giant Peach). I’d love to play the main character in that, if I’m age appropriate. This kid gets stranded in the wilderness because of a plane crash and has to survive on his own. Sounds like a blast to me!

The scene in the diner, with Mike dancing outside the window… improv or scripted? Were you encouraged to improve or did you have to stick straight to the script?
There was a lot of improve in this film for the humans (Eric, Tyler, Angela, Jessica, and Me). Catherine didn’t really care whether dialogue or actions were improvised or scripted, or whether ideas came from her or the cast. Her priority was to create something real, empathetic, and entertaining for the audience. She always had respect for OUR role in the overall story, and our purpose in Bella’s life. And having made several movies on the subject, Catherine has a lot of experience in trying to capture the essence of teenagers.

In the case of the diner, the process went like this… The script said something like, “Mike waves and calls out, trying to get Bella’s attention.” Catherine showed me where this will take place, suggested a couple of ideas, and ultimately left it up to me to come up with something that works. I thought of that dance (for whatever reason), showed her, and she approved. Later in post-production, she had me come into a sound studio to record some various, “Bow chicka WOW wow. WOO WOOO!” whacky noises. She picks one of three choices, and there you have it. Mike Newton in all his goofy glory, dancing for the affections of Bella". 
Source: www.touchedbytwilight.net

2 comments :

Kate said...

I adore this movie. :LOVE:

Elena said...

welcome to Weirdland, Kate!!