WEIRDLAND: Robert Pattinson playing Tyler with blasé attitude

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Robert Pattinson playing Tyler with blasé attitude


REMEMBER ME - Clip "What are you doing?" featuring Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin.

REMEMBER ME - Clip "What desserts do you have?"


MMM: Do you think that you were able to bring your all to this role?

PATTINSON: I don’t know… I don’t really know what my “all” is. I always felt very connected to it right from the beginning when I first read the script. It was more about the way Tyler dealt with random events. Little bits were cut out of it, but I remember after the first fight with Chris Cooper’s character his mother says, “I think you should sue the police force,” and my character is just like, “For what?” He doesn’t really care. It’s this blasé attitude even when he’s the one being harmed – I always related to that. Looking back into the past and bearing grudges and things, I don’t really do that. And the way Tyler’s violence comes out is illogical and not against legitimate targets. I kind of relate to that. When you have a spasm of rage it almost inevitably goes to the complete wrong target, which causes you more problems, so it’s much better to keep it all chained up.

MMM: A lot of that anger came in the scenes between you and Pierce Brosnan. Could you talk about shooting those scenes with Pierce? And also, does that relationship in any way reflect your relationship with your own father?

PATTINSON: My relationship with my Dad is the complete opposite. But Pierce’s part was written as much more controlling and incredibly arrogant. Pierce always read the character going, “He’s not a horrible man. He’s not a monster.” And that completely changed Tyler’s relationship with him. Tyler’s rebelling against nothing. You’re just attacking someone because you know he can be attacked and he’s going to keep standing afterwards. But Pierce is amazing. When he was cast I was like, “That’s going to be a tough act to follow!”

MMM: Were you injured at all during the shoot?

PATTINSON: The only thing I hurt myself on, which was a scene in the movie where I flipped out afterwards because you walk into the big confrontation and end up getting completely destroyed by your competitor [Pierce], and I was like hitting myself afterwards in a little spur-of-the-moment thing. But I hit myself so hard I was in tremendous pain for the rest of the shoot!

MMM: And there was that one scene where you lost it in the school and threw that little girl’s desk.

PATTINSON: There was one take of that which they had to cut because I looked like I would be in jail not only for vandalism but for child abuse as well! I spun that desk around and the desk fell over and [the girl] literally almost ran away out of the classroom! [Laughs] I was like, “Oh my god! I’m actually going to get arrested for this!” She looked absolutely terrified afterwards. It was quite fun.
MMM: How was it shooting those fight scenes?

PATTINSON: I loved it. I never do stuff like that in reality so it’s quite cathartic in a lot of ways. I don’t know how it would’ve felt if I had any fighting back to do but I just get continually beaten up by [Chris Cooper]. It was quite daunting. It’s hard, especially being strangled. It’s very difficult to look like what’s actually happening. If you’re just being strangled nothing really happens. I was experimenting with myself just before we shot it. I don’t really know what the face is to do representing being strangled!

Source: www.manhattanmoviemag.com

No comments :