WEIRDLAND: Jake Gyllenhaal fully committed to the cinematic bed

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal fully committed to the cinematic bed

Jake Gyllenhaal leaving his Hotel in New York City on 22nd November 2010. Pictures courtesy of Iheartjakemedia.com

"Gyllenhaal has always impressed me as the rare leading man to combine youthful vitality with a mysterious dark side, as he displayed in performances ranging from “Donnie Darko” to “Brokeback Mountain.” Now comes “Source Code”, director Duncan Jones’s highly anticipated follow-up to the Sundance hit “Moon”, which was the rare actor’s movie that also managed to play well for the fanboy crowd. With “Moon”, Jones gave Sam Rockwell one of his best roles by simply allowing to talk to himself for ninety minutes. The ambitious theatricality of the set-up merged with the coolness of the premise. A flashier, more expensive effort, “Source Code” looks like a tougher trick for Jones to pull off, as the trailer suggests a supreme high concept: “Run Lola Run” meets… I don’t know, “The Matrix”?
But the point is that Gyllenhaal looks pretty great in it—frightened, confused, and hopelessly driven against impossible odds". Source: blogs.indiewire.com

Anne Hathaway as Maggie Murdock in "Love and other drugs" (2010)

"She’s crazy sexy in it, beautiful. Her hair is, that hair is insane. The hair is super sexy. I mean, she looks amazing. I mean, there are these close ups of her where I think to myself like, this is like, I’ve never seen a woman look so beautiful onscreen before. There are moments in this movie where like, I’ll be like holy shit! She looks amazing, right?" -Jake Gyllenhaal defining Anne Hathaway in "Love and other drugs"

"Yes, they like sex, but not intimacy," Gyllenhaal said.

Spending a lot of time onscreen with your clothes off requires a serious amount of confidence, but the humble actor says he turns it up for the job.
"I think a job like acting is just such a tough one, particularly when you are naked with Anne Hathaway. It is very important you have a lot of confidence," he joked.

Gyllenhaal is definitely in touch with his level of commitment. "Yes, well, I am fully committed to everything I do in the cinematic bed," he said.
Realistically, confidence should never be an issue for Gyllenhaal, who made People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue.
Although he didn't make the cover, he says, "It's an honor be underneath Brad Pitt, it always is. I have to say -- it was a tough job. It gets harder. ... I'm getting older", he said.
So, will one of the "Sexiest Men Alive" who's rumored to be dating country superstar Taylor Swift ever settle down?

"Yeah, definitely. Definitely. I'm sort of totally inspired by my sister and her husband and my niece and my family recently has had, you know, sort of splits in it, and we all have kind of come back together in a really wonderful way," he said. "And so, I think I look at it in a whole new light and I'm definitely up for that. That's what I'd like in my life." "Love and Other Drugs" is out in theaters today. Source: www.cbsnews.com

"Jake had touched me everywhere except my boob", says Hathaway, patting her chest as the pair sits together to discuss their new film, the upcoming romantic dramedy "Love & Other Drugs," which opens in theaters Wednesday. "We did it very methodically: I would cover, they'd bring me a towel, I'd get out of the car, go behind a screen and get redressed. All of a sudden I hear a throat clear from behind the screen. It's Jake. 'Ah, Annie, so the thing is, in this scene, if it was really you and me in the car, I just think that, you know, ah, can I touch your boob?'"
"And ... I don't think you asked me this time," says Hathaway, turning to her screen partner to tease him about his behavior during the many love scenes they shot for their new project and laughing uproariously.
"I already asked. Your offer was still good," Gyllenhaal says with a shrug.
"We wanted to push it," Gyllenhaal says. "One of those avenues was when the sheets come off, you don't cover your breast, you don't cover a part of your body after you've slept with someone you're falling in love with five or six times."
The fact that the film touched on such au courant healthcare debate fodder is exactly why Gyllenhaal — an outspoken progressive who campaigned for Barack Obama — was so eager to sign on. "It's in the same family of all the movies I love," he says over a late-afternoon snack at the Four Seasons Hotel". 'Jerry Maguire', 'Terms of Endearment,' the movies that have a sense of life and a sense of humor."
"Love & Other Drugs" also offered Gyllenhaal, 29, the antidote he craved after shooting the high-octane Jerry Bruckheimer-produced videogame adaptation "Prince of Persia." "I was desperate for character interaction, for scenes that were intimate, where I could spend a lot of time talking," Gyllenhaal says. "I loved the action and jumping around, but I get a different kind of action in this one."
"By the end of the script I was crying", Gyllenhaal says. "I thought, 'This is it, I will do anything to do this movie.' It just moved me from the start. Then I had to convince Ed."
Zwick tells a different story, saying he wanted Gyllenhaal all along. Calling from London, the Academy Award-winning helmer says, "There were so many aspects of Jake in a room that I hadn't seen on film: charm, charisma and wit. It's a great thing as a director when you can give audiences a side of an actor they haven't yet seen onscreen."
"I wanted to find a way to have a girl who was free-spirited, intelligent, sexually unencumbered," she says. "But I thought it would be very easy to take all those things I just described and turn her into a male fantasy. I wasn't interested in that. I wanted to relate to her as a woman, and I wanted girls to relate to her too."
Before filming began, she, Gyllenhaal and Zwick spent weeks rehearsing, a process that altered the story line from what Gyllenhaal calls "a guy who changes because he falls in love with a girl" to a story "about two people being changed by love." Source: www.boulderweekly.com

"On Friday he told Jimmy Fallon, "My favorite sandwich is a Primanti Brothers' sandwich, it has the french fries in the sandwich and cole slaw."
The Primanti Sandwich is "almost famous" in Pittsburgh. According to legend, John DePriter, who was the restaurant's cook in the 1930s said the sandwich originated when, "One winter, a fella drove in with a load of potatoes. He brought a few of 'em over to the restaurant to see if they were frozen. I fried the potatoes on our grill and they looked pretty good. A few of our customers asked for them, so I put the potatoes on their sandwiches." Source: www.jaunted.com

No comments :