WEIRDLAND: Scenes from "I Wake Up Screaming" (1941)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Scenes from "I Wake Up Screaming" (1941)

Carole Landis as Vicky Lynn in "I Wake Up Screaming" (1941) directed by H. Bruce Humberstone


Some scenes from "I Wake Up Screaming" (1941), starring Victor Mature, Betty Grable, Carole Landis, Laird Cregar, etc. Audio commentary by noir historian Eddie Muller.

"In the penumbral world of the detective story, based on the virile and existentially skeptical work of writers like Hammett, Chandler, Cain, and David Goodis (which found its way into crime films like Dark Passage, The Blue Dahlia, Farewell My Lovely, Double Indemnity, I Wake Up Screaming, and The Big Sleep), the proliferation of women —broads, dames, and ladies in as many shapes and flavors, hard and soft centers as a Whitman’s sampler was a way of not having to concentrate on a single woman, and again, of reducing woman’s stature by siphoning her qualities off into separate women." -"From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies" (1974) by Molly Haskell

No comments :