WEIRDLAND: Kyle Chandler's progression: video & article

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Kyle Chandler's progression: video & article


Kyle Chandler video, featuring photos and stills from films and TV shows starring by Kyle Chandler: Homefront, Early Edition, Friday Night Lights (with Connie Britton), King Kong, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Super 8, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, The Wolf of Wall Street, etc. Soundtrack: "Little Baby" by Buddy Holly, "I Want Your Love" by Tranvision Vamp, and "Ooh Wee Baby" by Jeff Barry.

“Guys are all about watches, boots, sunglasses, jackets. For us, simplicity is best.” -Kyle Chandler

"What I do is not rocket science, but I sure do love it." -Kyle Chandler

"I love playing a role where I think I’m right and then you learn you’re not. And it’s what you do with that information." -Kyle Chandler

“Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He’s gonna fight, and he’s gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself. Success is not a goal, it is a by-product.” —Coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler)

You can tell instantly why they picked Chandler to play the imperturbable Texas high school football coach on NBC's Friday Night Lights. Having spent much of his childhood in Georgia, Chandler has the Southern accent, but he also has the old-school values: Hard work is its own reward. Slow and steady wins the race. And, above all, never ever believe your own hype.

"I've been acting for 20 years, and I'm still under the radar, and that's fine," he says. "It lets me do what I really want, which is to be a good husband, a good father. I'm quite happy just plodding along." "I like to live simply," says Chandler. "My wife is my best friend. We don't go to parties. I believe kids are supposed to get dirty and have fun. When we have people over the house, I'll fire up the grill outside and we'll have good food, but it's potluck. I love what I do, but I don't need the lavish lifestyle that's supposed to go with it."

His first major television role was as a Cleveland Indians outfielder on Homefront, a critically acclaimed series about a group of WWII vets returning to Ohio.

Next came Early Edition, on which he played a man who mysteriously receives a copy of The Chicago Sun-Times one day in advance, giving him knowledge of the future. From there, Chandler became a kind of everyhunk with roles as testosterone-fueled as his characters' names suggest: Jake Evans (What About Joan), Grant Rashton (The Lyon's Den), Mac McGinty (Capital City), Bruce Baxter (King Kong).

Chandler met his wife at a dog park in the mid-'90s at the tail end of a sowing-oats phase. He had come to Hollywood several years earlier on a talent program for ABC after majoring in theater at the University of Georgia. Acting work was scarce at first, which gave Chandler--who is a strapping 6-foot-1--time for other pursuits. "My first job was as a bouncer at the Palace nightclub in Hollywood, and it gave me a lot of opportunities with women," he says, though he's above giving details. "Let's just say I was not suffering in that department."

But Kathryn took Kyle to a whole new level, literally. After breaking up and getting back together several times, he followed her on a climbing trip to Pico de Orizaba, an 18,000-foot peak in Mexico, where Kyle promptly got altitude sickness but was bowled over by an epiphany. "I know it sounds corny, but when we got back home, I bought a bottle of wine and some candles, went to her place, and told her I couldn't live without her." What's the secret of their lasting love in a town where divorces are as common as strip malls? "She knows who I really am and still appreciates me," says Chandler. "Here I have a new show, and for a minute you think, How can I reinvent myself? But success is attached to being who you are. My wife knows I'm a complete idiot, and she reminds me every day that success is meaningless if I'm pretending to be someone I'm not."

For Chandler, family is the great equalizer. "No matter what happens in other areas of my life, I get my soul and essence from them," he says. "Spending time with my girls clarifies my perspective on just about any problem. And if I'm still struggling with something, my wife and I will have one of our late-night conversations in bed, and that will put the problem to rest."

"Making the best of a bad situation is what life is about, because the frills and fancies, they just come and go." What would his dad think of the man Kyle is today? Chandler finishes his second pint and thinks about it a minute. It wouldn't be like him to sugarcoat the answer, and he doesn't: "I always think if Dad climbed up out of the grave, he'd look at me and say, 'Kyle, you son of a bitch, why don't you get a real job?' But then he would look at the business side and say, 'Okay, I get it now.'"

Chandler laughs, but you can tell the conversation has tapped something deep inside him. He puts his hands together and his head down, almost prayerlike, or as if he's about to deliver one of those inspirational speeches in the locker room on Friday Night Lights. But this one's for real. "My dad always said, 'Listen to that inner voice. It won't steer you wrong,'" he says. "The world tries to mess with you in all kinds of ways. If Dad were here today, I think he'd be proud of me for becoming my own man. I think that's all you can hope to accomplish in this life." Source: www.menshealth.com

Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara and Sarah Paulson are already signed on for Todd Haynes' drama Carol, and now they have a further co-star in Kyle Chandler.

He'll play Blanchett's husband in the Patricia Highsmith adaptation. As a novel, Carol was originally published as The Price Of Salt in 1952, with Highsmith (Strangers On A Train, The Talented Mr Ripley) writing pseudonymously as "Claire Morgan". The book's lesbian trappings prompted the secrecy: a positive and sympathetic portrayal of a sapphic relationship unusual in an era when such things were viewed as degenerate. Blanchett and Mara are, obviously enough, the couple at the heart of the film, with Chandler the other half of Blanchett's divorce proceedings. Source: www.empireonline.com

No comments :